Network Operators reserve the right to suspend, modify, reinstate, or cancel a cardholders authorisations, including their RIW card for any of the following reasons:
- Any incident that results in the RIW demonstrating reckless act or legislative breach or
- organisational breach;
- The RIW is the subject of any action resulting from the Drug & Alcohol Testing;
- Safe working breach;
- Wherever a time-based remedial action is considered with a training/mentoring program to up-skill the RIW;
- Competence and/or performance has, or may have, the potential to impact safety or is called into question;
- The RIW is unable to meet competency requirements or re-certification is not granted;
- Advice has been received that the RIW no longer meets the requirements of the national health standards;
- RIW has contravened a Fatigue Management Program; and/or
- Other valid reason as determined by the Network Operator.
Suspensions can be administered in two ways:
- A job role suspension – this will prevent the RIW from undertaking work in the suspended job role, and
- A competence suspension – this will prevent a RIW from undertaking work in any role where the suspended competence is required.
Depending on the outcome of an incident or re-certification assessment, a Network Operator may elect to suspend the RIW from their duties or downgrade their role or competency. Role and competence suspensions provide a Network Operator with an ability to prevent a RIW from working on their Network whilst still allowing the RIW to working on another Network Operators rail network.