Below you will find a range of training, instructional and support information for using the RIW System. You can browse the various categories, or type keywords into the search box. If you are new to RIW, please view the Getting Started category.
Knowledge Centre Search
Kiosk Scanner Troubleshooting Guide
This troubleshooting guide can be used if a site is experiencing issues with a Kiosk scanner.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Power cable in
USB connection to PC
Image scanner not scanning?
If a scanner is not scanning RIW cards, it could be that the scanner has gone into hibernation mode, that there is inadequate light available or that the QR code might be unable to be scanned due to damage.
- Check whether there is sufficient light available to read the QR code.
- Check whether the QR code attempting to be read is not damaged and clearly discernable.
- Look at the scanner and confirm if there are any lights on (white lights)?
- If all lights are on and the QR code is still not being read, it may imply the scanner is hibernating.
- Open the kiosk door and unplug / replug the scanner from the scanner head, and check whether the USB is also firmly connected to the PC. You should hear 3 beeps as the scanner restarts and connects.
- Try to scan the QR code again.
NOTE: Windows 10 has reported issues with scanners moving into hibernation mode if not used regularly. MTA will work to update the device to minimise this issue occurring if reported.
Still not working?
- Restart the whole Kiosk by powering the PC off by pressing the blue power button located on the front of the PC. Wait 30 seconds before powering the PC back on. Check scanner to see if this resolves the issue.
- If the scanner is still not functioning after attempting the troubleshooting tips above, please raise a RIW Hardware Technical Support Request at https://www.riw.net.au/contact-us/request-a-service?hardwaretechnicalsupport.
RIW Knowledge Centre Article Link:
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback