Below you will find a range of training, instructional and support information for using the RIW System. You can browse the various categories, or type keywords into the search box. If you are new to RIW, please view the Getting Started category.
Knowledge Centre Search
How is time managed in the RIW System?
This article provides an overview of how time is managed in the RIW System to support the multiple time zones in Australia.
All time-sensitive information is stamped with the local time in which it is recorded. This is identified by the time zone set on the computer or mobile device that the user is on. Most functions that record time will also specify the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and any relevant offset.
This instruction applies to the following user roles:
- Advanced Project Admin
- Employer Admin
- Employer Admin - No Payment
- Employer Admin - Read Only
- Network Manager
- Network Manager - Read Only
- Project Admin
- Site Admin
- Training Provider User
- Medical Provider User
- RIW cardholder (myRIW)
Time-sensitive information includes:
- Swipes - when a Rail Industry Worker or Visitor swipes in/out of a site.
- Visitor pass validity.
- Fast track competency verification.
The time and date information is displayed in the RIW System with the time zone that it was recorded in and the UTC offset.
For example, if two cardholders in two separate time zones both swipe in at 09:00 local time, it will be recorded at 09:00 + the UTC offset. In the example below, two different time zones show a similar local swipe time, however, the offset shows the universal time.
- 23/09/2022 16:28hrs + 10hrs UTC Offset - this location is in Melbourne, Australia.
- 21/09/2022 17:20hrs + 1hr UTC Offset - this location is in London, UK.
Date sensitive information
All date-sensitive data resets at two minutes past midnight AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) irrespective of the time zone in which the record/data is added.
Date-sensitive information includes:
- Competency expiries
- Rail health (medical) assessment expiries
- Additional medical information expiries
- Drug & Alcohol assessment expiries
- Subscription expiries
- Employment/association start/end dates
- Job role leave dates/validity
- Allocated items
For example, if a company adds an employment leave date to Jo Smith at 09:37am on 25/11/2019, their profile will not be unemployed until 12:02am AEST 26/11/2019.
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback