How does a cardholder report corrections to their RIW profile through myRIW?

When viewing records on myRIW, a cardholder may notice that some of the details are incorrect. 

To inform an employer of any changes required, select the Report Corrections option from the main dashboard.

This instruction applies to the following RIW System User Roles:

  • myRIW User (i.e. RIW cardholder)

Step 1: Log in to MyRIW

Go to and login using your credentials.

Step 2: Report Corrections

To report any corrections to a cardholders profile, the cardholder can click on the Report Corrections shortcut available from the main dashboard.

Detail the corrections required in the Updated details section and click Send.  An email will be sent to the Primary Contact of the company with the requested corrections.

A confirmation message will appear advising an email has been sent to the Employer.

RIW Knowledge Centre Article Link:

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.