Below you will find a range of training, instructional and support information for using the RIW System. You can browse the various categories, or type keywords into the search box. If you are new to RIW, please view the Getting Started category.
Knowledge Centre Search
What identification documents does a cardholder require to complete an ID check?
To complete an ID check successfully for a Rail Industry Worker card, a person must provide one primary document OR one secondary document and one tertiary document, which must include a photo.
If a cardholder provides an identity document using a former name, the cardholder must also provide evidence of the name change.
For more instructions, please refer to our article How does a cardholder complete an ID check?
Examples of acceptable identification documents
- Australian Passport – An Australian Passport that is current or expired up to 3 years.
- Australian Driver's Licence- A driver's licence issued by an Australian State or Territory.
- Must not be cancelled. In some jurisdictions, a hole punched licence indicates that it has been cancelled.
- Both the licence number and card number must be provided.
- Must be current and valid.
- If expired, it is still valid for an ID check in all jurisdictions except for:
- Tasmania: Once a license has expired, it is no longer valid for ID checks.
- Western Australia: Upon expiration of the license, a further 6 months is granted to allow for the license to be valid when submitted for an ID check.
- Foreign Passport with Australian Visa - A foreign passport that has not expired with an Australian Visa that has not been cancelled, expired or was never issued (i.e. never arrived in Australia). In order for your visa to be verified, you must be onshore in Australia.
- Centrelink Card - A Centrelink Card issued by the Commonwealth, State, or Territory government. Must not be expired or cancelled.
- Medicare Card - Must not be expired or cancelled. Temporary statements will not be accepted.
- Australian Proof Of Age Card - A Proof of Age Card that has been issued by an Australian State or Territory.
- Firearm's Licence - A Firearm Licence issued under Australian Law.
- Security Licence - A Security Licence issued under Australian Law.
- Boat Operator Licence - A Boat Operator Licence issued under Australian Law.
- Student Identification Card - A Student Identification Card issued by a tertiary education institution.
NOTE: Keypass identification is not an accepted tertiary document at this time.
Change of name document
- Australian Change Of Name Certificate - A Change of Name Certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
- Australian Marriage Certificate - A Marriage Certificate issued by an Australian State or Territory. Church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted.
- Deed Poll - A Deed Poll issued by an Australian State or Territory.
- Foreign Change of Name Certificate - A Change of Name Certificate issued in a foreign country.
- Foreign Marriage Certificate - A Marriage Certificate issued in a foreign country.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback